BIBLE STUDY: 10 Personal Benefits of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ
How can Jesus’ resurrection renew our lives? Dr. Kenneth Hammonds, presenter of last week’s Bible Study discussion titled “The Names of God: Experiencing the Great ‘I AM’ By Name,” joins us on Westa.org to discuss this topic for our Bible Study series. To learn more about these topics and many others, please join us each week for Wednesday Night Bible Study at West Angeles’ North Campus Sanctuary. Read more below.
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead – 1 Peter 1:3 ESV
Introduction: What is Anastasis?
So, what is “anastasis”? Pronounced: ah-NAH-stah-sis, it is the underlying NT Greek word used in our verse above (1 Peter 1:3), and it may be the most powerful word in Christianity regarding our salvation. It is translated, “resurrection.” The word resurrection has its origins in Late Latin from the verb resurgere, meaning, “rise again.”
Nice word; however, I really like this powerful word and its literal meaning. The Greek word in the New Testament text, anastasis, is composed of two Greek words: stand (stasis) and up (ana): yes, literally meaning “to stand up.”
You probably thought the resurrection was just speaking of Jesus Christ coming back to life. Yes, indeed He has, but this phrase also means that He literally walked out from being surrounded by dead corpses, dead people – the dead!
I really love the literal idea of Jesus Christ out from among dead folks. The fact that He walked out ALIVE from the surrounding dead corpses gives us the powerful, living, joyful, and confident hope spoken of in this beautiful verse. It is through this hope that we experience God’s gift of eternal life; enjoying a taste of it now and a continuous eternally bubbling flow into the ages to come.
Oh, Praise God for that!
10 Personal Benefits of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ
See the listing below for the 10 Benefits of Jesus’ resurrection. Read, ponder, meditate, and even apply it personally when you can:
- Personal Benefit #1 – You can conquer any fear invading your life. What things are you afraid of or afraid to face in your daily living? (Hebrews 2:15, Psalm 27:1).
- Personal Benefit #2 – You no longer need to see the future as a personal uncertainty. You have certainty and confidence in Christ (Philippians 1:6, Proverbs 23:18, Jeremiah 29:1).
- Personal Benefit #3 – You have the personal power to do anything (Ephesians 1:19-20, 3:20; Philippians 4:13).
- Personal Benefit #4 – Because of the resurrection there is a Church and gifted persons – like you – within the Body of Christ (Ephesians 1:21-23, 4:7-11, 16; 1 Corinthians 12:4).
- Personal Benefit #5 – You can have renewed thinking and behavioral change. It is possible for you, even when it looks impossible (Ephesians 4:22-24, Romans 12:1-2).
- Personal Benefit #6 – You can access power over the evil forces of demonic activity (Luke 10:19, Colossians 2:12,15 ).
- Personal Benefit #7 – You have a new, holy, empowering way of living in this world through a new attitude and wise, healthy, sensible actions (Colossians 3:1-11, Hebrews 10:19-20).
- Personal Benefit #8 – You can Rejoice and be Victorious (Overcomer) in life. Have a winning attitude (1 Corinthians 15:54, 1 John 5:4, Numbers 13:32).
- Personal Benefit #9 – You can have the personal experience of love, happiness, peace, job security, a place to live, friendship, marriage, hope, and everything else you need (Philippians 4:6, 13,19-20; 1 Timothy 6:17-19).
- Personal Benefit #10 – You have the abundance of salvation and all that it means – spiritually, socially, emotionally, materially, and physically. (2 Corinthians 9:8,11; Psalm 23).
Thus, the Resurrection of Jesus Christ is the great capstone of our faith and the bountiful hope of our future. May you be blessed as you read and meditate upon these 10 wonderful personal benefits. And may this Post-Resurrection Reflection remind us always of the many benefits we enjoy in the salvific work of Christ.
Dr. Hammonds is Director of Discipleship for West Angeles COGIC, under the leadership of Presiding Bishop Charles Edward Blake, Sr. He is a New Testament Greek Trainer and Motivator, and a noted Christian Educator in the African American Church Community. He is the author of a motivational wealth-building commentary for Christian ‘solopreneurs’ and success-minded individuals entitled, ‘God Wants You To Be Wealthy (How to Release the Wealth Builder Within)’.
JOIN US EACH WEEK FOR WEDNESDAY NIGHT BIBLE STUDY! Delve deeper into the Word of God as dynamic pastors, theologians, and speakers from across the country present riveting insights on the Bible, the basis of our faith. Please join us at West Angeles each Wednesday night at 7 p.m. at the North Campus Sanctuary, 3045 Crenshaw Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90016. Visit Westa.org or phone:(323) 733-8300 for more information.
Main Image: David Dibert for Unsplash.