The constant upload of photos and videos on Facebook and Instagram can be a bit overwhelming. You see a photo of your friend’s awesome ski trip and immediately think, “wow…his life most be awesome” and immediately feel guilty about your own.
Sometimes it’s harder to just focus on sharpening you and be satisfied with who you are.
Our lives are a constant exercise in self-improvement and while the majority of the focus lands on education and promotions at work, sometimes we forget that being a better person involves how we treat ourselves and those around us. Below are 10 Ways to Be a Better You.
1. Get up early and confront Your Day. Everyone recommends this but after spending late nights at the office or getting caught up o your favorite shows on Hulu—getting up early is a task within itself. But set your alarm an hour earlier. You’ll be amazed by how many more things you can cram into your day.
2. Remind the people in your life how much they mean to you. You can do this by simply sending a ‘good morning’ text.
3. Work on making yourself a little more accountable to the people around you. Sometimes this starts by talking less and listening more. James 1:19 – Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak… You will learn more about who you’re interacting with know what EXACTLY they need from you.
4. Smile more and laugh more. You can do this by being aware of the joy that’s already around you, and if all you see is pain, transform it into laughter. Psalms 30:5- Pain may endure for a night but joy comes in the morning., Romans 12:2-Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
5. Learn how to apologize. I think there’s nothing that makes us more beautifully human than making mistakes and owning up to them. 1 John 2:16 – Our foolish pride comes from this world.
6. Let go of our anger, envy and hatred. Ephesians 4:31 – Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you.
7. Complain less and make fewer excuses. Learn to enjoy your life and not always focus on what is bad, what is wrong and why you can’t or didn’t do something. 1 Timothy – They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share.
8. Do something nice for someone else — the kind of favor you might not see returned.
9. Give someone a completely unsolicited compliment. If you see something you like on someone where’s the harm in saying so? 9 times out of 10 they will be shocked but gracious which will make you smile harder.
10. Try to have conversations with people you casually meet in everyday life. Find out the name of the woman you see all the time at the grocery store and engage her. You never know what you will learn from someone else’s experiences.