Great accomplishments start with actions done intentionally. For example, being successful in any profession involves adhering to the requirements of dedicated labor. Experiencing a loving, fulfilled, and God-glorifying relationship requires each person to do his or her part in being attentive, loyal, and dedicated. Actually, accomplishing any degree of success in any area of our lives requires intentional action!
This same mentality applies to us as Kingdom citizens in the family of God. We must live intentionally-submitted lives; determined to obey our heavenly Father’s Word: the Bible. Even if we may have been a follower of Christ for a long time, we cannot become lax in intentionally obeying the Lord!
11 SCRIPTURES FOR INTENTIONAL LIVING
The Bible illustrates God’s desire for us as Kingdom citizens. Here are 11 scriptures to help guide us toward living intentionally:
- Romans 12:2- Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. (NLT)
- 1 Timothy 4:8- … On the other hand, discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness; for bodily discipline is only of little profit, but godliness is profitable for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. (NASB)
- Romans 13:14-Instead, clothe yourself with the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ. And don’t let yourself think about ways to indulge your evil desires. (NLT)
- Ephesians 4:21-32 – Since you have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from Him,22 throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception. 23 Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. 24 Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy.25 So stop telling lies. 26 And “don’t sin by letting anger control you.” Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 for anger gives a foothold to the devil. 28 If you are a thief, quit stealing. Instead, use your hands for good hard work, and then give generously to others in need. 29 Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.30 And do not bring sorrow to God’s Holy Spirit by the way you live. 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. 32 Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you. (NLT)
- Philippians 3:13-14 – Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the Heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.(NLT)
- Colossians 3:12– Since God chose you to be the holy people He loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.
- Hebrews 12:1 – …let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us…(NIV)
- Psalm 141:3 – Take control of what I say, O LORD, and guard my lips. (NLT)
- 1 Corinthians. 9:27-…I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. (NIV)
- Titus 1:8-but hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined. (ESV)
- Revelation 3:11-I am coming soon! Hold on to what you have so that no one takes your victor’s crown.(ISV).
So, Kingdom Family: let’s continue to live intentionally and obey our Heavenly Father’s commands; for living an intentionally godly life is beneficial for us, both here on earth and for all eternity.
Dr. Tonya Lewis has been a member of West Angeles Church of God In Christ for over 40 years. She serves on-staff as the Executive Director of Bereavement Ministries. She holds both Honorary Doctorate and Earned Doctorate degrees. Dr. Lewis has been teaching the Overcomer’s Bible Fellowship for over 34 years at West Angeles, along with other teaching venues.
OVERCOMER’S BIBLE FELLOWSHIP – You are invited to join the Overcomer’s Bible Fellowship, facilitated by Dr. Tonya Lewis. This fellowship can teach you how to overcome any and everything that’s contrary to God’s Word, thus developing you into strong, spiritual, Kingdom citizens. Join us each Sunday morning, 8-10 a.m., or Sunday evening 5:30-6:40 p.m. in the North Campus Sanctuary.
LEARN SPANISH! – Did you know West Angeles has Spanish classes? Learn Spanish from teachers whose first language is Spanish. The classes are open to all. Join us each Sunday, 7-8 a.m. and 4:30-5:30 p.m. in the West Angeles Multipurpose Bldg. Room 1. 3045 Crenshaw Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90016.
For more information on the Overcomers Bible Fellowship or the Spanish Class, please contact:
Dr. Tonya Lewis at [email protected], or please call 323-733-8300 ext. 2242.