West Angeles Church of God In Christ is a 24,000-member Pentecostal-Holiness Christian church, and a member of the Church of God in Christ denomination. Presiding Bishop Charles Edward Blake, Sr. serves as Chief Shepherd of West Angeles. Its main place of worship, the West Angeles Cathedral, is located in the Historic Crenshaw District of Los Angeles, California, an African American ethnic enclave.

~The Early Years~

The church was founded in 1943 by Elder Clarence E. Church. The first sanctuary was located in the heart of Los Angeles in a small store front on Vermont Avenue. A new and more permanent home was built at 3501 West Adams Boulevard, which opened its doors in 1955.

After Elder Church passed away in 1968, the search for a new minister began. At that time, Elder Charles E. Blake, a native of Little Rock, Arkansas, had been serving in the ministry in San Diego under his father, the late Bishop J.A. Blake. He was appointed pastor of West Angeles in 1969.

Beginning with only a 50-member congregation, the dynamic leadership and ministry of Elder Charles E. Blake began to take form. The 1970s brought a membership explosion, which heralded the founding of the West Angeles Christian Academy. By 1981, a 1,000-seat sanctuary was built to house the growing ministry at the former site of an old furniture store at 3045 Crenshaw Boulevard in Los Angeles (now known as the North Campus).

The rapidly growing membership wrought equally explosive ministerial growth:

  • Construction began on the Education Building, Crystal Room, and administrative offices in 1984.
  • The West Angeles Christian Emporium opened in 1986.
  • The West Angeles Bible College started its first classes in 1987 and in the same year, a full time Counseling Department was established.

~The 1990s~

Bishop Blake dedication to the surrounding  community. The West Angeles Community Development Corporation was founded in early 1994 to expand the compassionate outreach and neighborhood development ministries of the church, which had by then grown to 15,000 members strong. But as the number of Sunday services rose to four, including an evening service, Bishop Blake found that it was time, once again, to build.

The ideal location was just two blocks away at Crenshaw and Exposition Boulevards. Construction for the new West Angeles Cathedral began on {SITE DATE}. The 5,000-seat Cathedral, built from steel, granite and stained glass, was dedicated in 1999. The Presiding Bishop of the Church of God in Christ, the late Bishop G.E. Patterson, preached the first sermon from its pulpit on  April 28, 2001.

~The New Millennium and Beyond~

The Lord is fulfilling His promise to this ministry as dozens of souls are brought into the Kingdom each week at the West Angeles Cathedral, the North Campus Sanctuary as well as its many outreach ministries.  Under Presiding Bishop Blake’s leadership, the church has grown from 50 members to over 24,000. Bishop Charles E. Blake, now Presiding Bishop of the Church of God In Christ, continues to serve as Head Pastor of West Angeles Church of God In Christ, while leading its vision firmly into the future.  Plans are underway for new units low-income housing in the community, as well as the construction of the West Angeles Family Life Center, which will extend the current Cathedral to include  new, modern educational facilities, offices, and parking.

West Angeles  Church of God In Christ, with its anointed, visionary Pastor, dynamic  ministry,  and extensive outreach services, has been recognized as one of the fastest growing churches in the nation.

Currently, West Angeles Church of God in Christ exceeds 22,000 members. The church has been recognized as one of the fastest growing churches in the nation, with extensive ministry and outreach services including television and radio broadcasts.