Hu·mil·i·ty – noun; a modest or low view of one’s own importance; humbleness.
Jesus has a great deal to say about humility, and no wonder, since it was pride that first caused man’s downfall. As “The New Adam,” Jesus exemplified this aspect of righteous living. Man fell because he presumed his own way above God’s will and way. True God-given exaltation and recognition will come to those who least expect it, and who least seek it.
5 Steps in Developing Humility
Jesus is a living example of humility. He performed miracles. He is the embodiment of God, yet, He walked, dressed, and lived humbly, and did not define Himself by superficial titles or trappings. Even with unspeakable suffering His future, He humbled Himself before God, and maintained peace in the presence of His enemies. He lived to help others understand the nobility of Kingdom living, as we all are meant to do, and the power found within God’s purpose for our lives.
Here are 5 steps to developing Christ-like humility:
- Love – Love by choice, not by circumstance. Let mistreatment by others remind you to overcome their evil through love (Matthew 5:43-48, Luke 6:27-28; 32-36).
- Forgive – Forgive daily those who have sinned against you. Allow God’s forgiving nature to guide you in forgiving others (Matthew 18-21-35; Luke 17:3-4).
- No vengeance – Renounce any form of retaliation. Leave all vengeance to God (Matthew 5:38-42, Luke 6:29-30).
- Humble yourself – Be wary of the serious danger of pride and arrogance. Avoid striving for public recognition and promoting yourself or your ministry (Luke 14:7-11).
- Repent – Recognize and confess before God any sin in your life. Do not seek to justify yourself by comparing yourself with other sinners (Luke 18:9-14).
The Kingdom Within You
The Kingdom of God is a spiritual reality that is in one’s life, over one’s affairs, and expressed through one’s life, love and service. Humility is how we show others the human face of God.
Adapted from Truth-in-action through the Synoptic Gospels, Spirit Filled Life Study Bible. Jack Hayford, General Editor; Dennis Corrigan, Senior Pastor, The Carpenter’s Company.
Purchase the Spirit Filled Life Study Bible at the WEST ANGELES CHRISTIAN EMPORIUM, 3021 Crenshaw Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90016. Phone:(323) 731-3012.