You’ve been attending church, enjoying the mighty choir and the moving sermon each Sunday. But you want to be more than one who just comes to Church and leaves until the next scheduled worship time. You’ve given your life to Christ, but now you may wonder, “What does He want me to do for Him? How do I find my place in the church?”
The Apostle Paul wrote in Ephesians 4:1 (NKJV),
“I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called.”
Your vocation is your total life’s calling. It includes every aspect of your life, such as your occupation (your job), your avocation (your hobby), your family and your ministry.
What You Can Give God for His Service
1. YOUR HEAD – “I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.” Romans 7:25 (NKJV)
2. YOUR MOUTH – “And for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel.” Ephesians 6:19 (NKJV)
3. YOUR WATCH – “Take advantage of every opportunity because these are evil times.” Ephesians 5:16 (CEB)
4. YOUR HANDS – “We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it.” 1 Corinthians 4:12 (NIV)
5. YOUR FEET – “I thought about my ways, and turned my feet to Your testimonies.” Psalm 119:59 (NKJV)
6. YOUR INCOME – “Sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles’ feet.” Acts 4:37 (NIV)
Your body, like the church, is one unit made up of many members. And, like the church, God has created each member for His service.
You are fully equipped to answer His call. Therefore, God’s plan is for you to recognize your spiritual gifts, and to spend the rest of your life utilizing them in the ministry of reaching and teaching your generation for God.
“May God richly bless you” is my prayer for you.
Westa.org honors Elder Ronald Thornton, West Angeles’ long-time instructor of “What Am I Called of God To Do?” Elder Thornton uses the spiritual gift of teaching to prepare others for the life God has called them to. He received his B.A. from the University of Alaska and was ordained in 1975. Rev. Thornton served as Dean for the CH Mason System of Bible Colleges, and as Principal of the West Angeles Christian Academy. He was promoted to Facilities Manager for West Angeles Church of God In Christ, where he also teaches the popular class, “What Am I Called Of God To Do?” He lives in Los Angeles with his wife, Louise.
Westa.org congratulates Elder Ronald Thornton upon his retirement this week!
Watch Alicia Keys perform Bob Dylan’s “Pressing On” below. Copyright © 1980 by Special Rider Music.
WANT TO KNOW YOUR CALLING? Curious about your purpose on earth? West Angeles Church of God In Christ has classes to help you discover all of this and more.
For information regarding Sunday School, Bible College, classes offered and more, call West Angeles Church of God in Christ at 323/733-8300. Department extensions can be found below:
- Christian Education (including Sunday School inquiries) – Elder Oscar Owens, Director; Patricia Franklin, Administrative Assistant to Elder Oscar Owens, X2345
- Bible College – Letha Rhymes, Bible College Registrar , X2367
- School of Practical Christian Living – Elder Richard Brooks, Christian Education Program Coordinator, X2366
- Young Women’s Christian Council – Mrs. Renee Weathersby, President, X2765