God desires to minister to us, and to bless and encourage our hearts by showing the greatness of His love for each one of us. Remember, although Jesus’ willing desire was to yield to the will of His Father and to die upon the cross (Matthew 26:39), He did ask the Father if the cup of His suffering could be taken from Him. One reason God’s implied response was “No” was because His love for us is as great as His love for Jesus.
God loves us so much that He allowed His one and only Son, Jesus Christ, to suffer throughout His life on earth, which concluded with the agony of the cross. This was so that each of us would have the chance to be saved, to experience God on earth, and to spend all eternity with Him.
GOD’S PLAN FOR US
Before the foundation of the world, God had the plan of reconciling man to Himself, even after Adam disobeyed Him and yielded to temptation (of course, this disobedience is what ushered sickness, pain, tears, sorrow, and death into our lives). Because God loves us so much, He had His plan and solution waiting for Adam – and for each one of us – to provide a way out of living life in agony, both here and in the hereafter. That is just how much He loves us!
The same is true today: God has a plan and solution awaiting our arrival, where and when it is needed. Thus, the actions of the Father who sacrificed His Son, and of Jesus who sacrificed His life for us, have assured us that we can believe Romans 8:32,37 (TLB):
32 Since He did not spare even His own Son for us but gave Him up for us all, won’t He also surely give us everything else? 37 but despite all this, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ who loved us enough to die for us.
5 BENEFITS OF JESUS’ LOVE
Now, let’s make these truths personal. As you reflect upon some of His many benefits, you can boldly say,
“Because Jesus loves me” –
- I can trust Him. I can declare His Word and unleash its power in my life. I can speak to my fears and rise up in faith. I can create a happy, fulfilled and prosperous environment.
- I can change my life by yielding to, and abiding in, God’s perfect plan for my life. I can ask God our Father to teach me what I don’t know. As long as there is breath in my body, I can discover and rediscover my life, and all I was created to be. With the excitement of anticipation, I can continue looking forward to new chapters in my life.
- I can realize my purpose – I can be assured that God has prepared each day for me to connect me with my destiny; to create blessings in my life, both for others and for myself. Because I will meet the right people at the right time, my encounters with others will be purposeful. I can rightfully believe that as long as I live, there is purpose and need of my gifts and talents, which were handpicked by my Father. I can know that yes, I am a blessing to others and do enrich their lives.
- I can live and thrive, even beyond the passing of very dear loved ones. I can be honest about my feelings and own up to them. I know that Jesus will relight my fire when the situations of life begin to suffocate its flame.
- I can have peace. Romans 8:28 says:
28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
Because of the assurance of His love, I can hold my peace and let the Lord fight my battles. I can lay down in peace and enjoy the comfort of bed and covering and sleep. I know that He will work all things out, and that everything is going to be all right.
YES, JESUS LOVES YOU
Just reflecting upon this partial list of blessings invokes love and praise in my own heart for my Heavenly Father; for Jesus, His Beloved Son, and for the Precious Holy Spirit. There are so many more reasons to praise Him, but know that our Triune God is always watching over our lives to love us, to enrich our lives and to give us fulfillment.
Thank you Lord!
Dr. Tonya Lewis has been a member of West Angeles Church of God In Christ for over 40 years. She serves on-staff as the Executive Director of Bereavement Ministries. She holds both Honorary Doctorate and Earned Doctorate degrees. Dr. Lewis has been teaching the Overcomer’s Bible Fellowship for over 34 years at West Angeles, along with other teaching venues.
The West Angeles Couseling Center invites you to live a fuller life today and every day, but remember: “life happens” to all of us. We provide support and services to the greater Los Angeles area. You do not have to be a West Angeles member. To find out more about our programs and services, please call the West Angeles Counseling Center at 323-737-7463.
West Angeles Bereavement Services – The loss of a loved one is never an easy thing to experience or expect and our experienced and dedicated staff serve in empathy and compassion during this difficult time. If you need help, please call West Angeles Bereavement Services at 323/ 733-8300, Ext. 2242.