How To Survive the In-between Times
In order to survive these troubled times, patience, focus, and commitment to our Lord and Savior are required. But are we praying as we should? And do we wait to hear God’s voice? Dr. Tonya Lewis shares a list of 12 scriptures and some timely, Godly wisdom to help us survive the “in-between” times.
To every thing, there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven – Ecclesiastes 3:1 (KJV)
Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord – Psalm 27:14 (KJV)
To everything, there is a beginning and an ending. 12:00 a.m. begins the dawning of a new day, while 12:00 midnight ends that same day. A race has a starting point and a finish line. To be successful and to accomplish our goals, our attention must be concentrated on the in-between times: the time between the beginning and the end of our goal.
Such is the case when we render prayers to the Lord. We must release them and allow God to answer our prayers in the best way and timing for our lives. His silence does not mean that He does not hear us or that He does not care. His silence means that He is allowing us to grow during our waiting time – that “in-between time”. From the time we accept the Lord as our Savior until we step into eternity, it is absolutely necessary that we spend our time maturing in the Lord. We must learn not to have temper-tantrums when He does not answer us as – or when – we think He should.
SURVIVING THE IN-BETWEEN TIMES
There is so much to learn if we are to survive the in-between-times! The verb “survive” is used because it is during those times that if we are not patient in waiting for God to answer, then we can act prematurely. We will be out of step with the perfect will of God and create all sorts of sorrow for ourselves. We may have panic-attacks, heart attacks, and encounter other distractions during these times if we don’t learn how to survive the in-between-times. No, the Lord is not going to attend to our every whimper; no, He probably will not “do it”. And even if He does, it may not be the way we think He should!
No, God does not have to prove to us and convince us that He is God, because He knows that He is. There are many witnesses around us (people, nature, past experiences, and definitely, His Word) which validates who He is. Just as the officer remains focused on his objective to ready young, resistant soldiers for battle by administering grueling boot camp drills so is the Holy Spirit’s objective to ready us for spiritual battle. No, He did not bring us this far to desert us now.
To survive the in-between-times by submitting our prayers and cries to the Lord and waiting for Him to answer, we must reinforce God’s truths in our spirit:
- Psalm 25:3-No one who trusts in You will ever be disgraced, but disgrace comes to those who try to deceive others.
- Psalm 27:14-Wait patiently for the LORD. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the LORD.
- Psalm 34:5-Those who look to Him for help will be radiant with joy.
- Psalm 33:18-But the LORD watches over those who fear Him, those who rely on His unfailing love.
- Psalm 43:5-Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise Him again–my Savior and my God!
- Psalm 71:14-But I will keep on hoping for Your help; I will praise You more and more.
- Job 19:25-“But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives and He will stand upon the earth at last.
- Job 23:10-“But He knows where I am going. And when He tests me, I will come out as pure as gold.
- Job 36:7-He does not take His eyes off the righteous.
- John 8:47(NIV) -Anyone who belongs to God listens gladly to the words of God.
- John 9:31-…but He is ready to hear those who worship Him and do His will.
- 1 Peter 3:12-The eyes of the Lord watch over those who do right, and His ears are open to their prayers.
WAIT ON THE LORD!
Yes, surviving-the-in-between times means that we learn that we can indeed depend on God! We must learn that He always has us in view. We must learn that He always hears us. We must learn to praise and worship Him no matter what we are facing. We must learn that as we wait and go through the tough learning of the in-between-times, we will come forth as pure as gold and reflect our Heavenly Father’s glow to this darkened world.
So, make the decision to put on your seatbelt, go for the ride, and survive the in-between-times. You will be glad that you did. God bless!
Dr. Tonya Lewis has been a member of West Angeles Church of God In Christ for over 40 years. She serves on-staff as the Executive Director of Bereavement Ministries. She holds both Honorary Doctorate and Earned Doctorate degrees. Dr. Lewis has been teaching the Overcomer’s Bible Fellowship for over 34 years at West Angeles, along with other teaching venues.
OVERCOMER’S BIBLE FELLOWSHIP – You are invited to join the Overcomer’s Bible Fellowship, facilitated by Dr. Tonya Lewis. This fellowship can teach you how to overcome any and everything that’s contrary to God’s Word, thus developing you into strong, spiritual, Kingdom citizens. Join us each Sunday morning, 8-10 a.m., or Sunday evening 5:30-6:40 p.m. in the North Campus Sanctuary.
For more information on the Overcomers Bible Fellowship, please contact Dr. Tonya Lewis, 323-733-8300 ext. 2242.
Featured image by Diana Simumpande for Unsplash.