Joy, Peace & Rest: 5 Scriptures You Need Now
Christmas is a time of joy and celebration. For many of us, however, the season may be a time of sadness and difficulty. Dr. Tonya Lewis shares the ability which God gives us to experience His joy, peace and rest: even when we’re feeling our lowest.
Lord God, thank you for the joy, peace and rest You give us along our journey of life. It is so sweet to trust You, as our faith is definitely not in vain. Yes, we encounter very difficult, painful, and almost unbearable experiences in life. We, however, cannot deny the joy, peace and rest You give to those of us who have submitted our lives to You by receiving Your Beloved Son as our Lord and Savior. You actually allow us to sense and feel the depth of YOUR love, as referenced in John 3:16-
For God loved the world in this way: so much that He would give up His Son, The Only One, so that everyone who trusts in Him shall not be lost, but he shall have eternal life. (ABPE).
We receive even more comfort and blessings from this verse when we personalize and substitute our own names for “the world”. We know the joy of giving and receiving an exchange of overflowing love with our loved ones. But even those experiences do not and can not measure the degree of the love we experience with You.
Lord, we pray for persons who are sorrowful, despondent and unaware of Your Son’s great love and salvation. We pray that they will yield their hearts to You so that they can also experience Your joy, peace and rest. What You offer us, Father-God, cannot be bought with material resources, earned by educational degrees, or achieved through professional promotions or family name.
5 SCRIPTURES FOR JOY, PEACE & REST
Throughout the Bible, God’s Word reminds us of the joy, peace, and rest we have in Him:
- John 15:9-11 (NKJV) – 9 “As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. 10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. 11 “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full.
- John 14:26-27 (NLT) – when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative-that is, the Holy Spirit-He will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you. 27- “I am leaving you with a gift-peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.
- 2 Thessalonians 3:16 (NLT)- Now may the Lord of peace Himself give you His peace at all times and in every situation. The Lord be with you all.
- Hebrews 4:1-3 – God’s promise of entering His rest still stands, so we ought to tremble with fear that some of you might fail to experience it. 2-For this good news–that God has prepared this rest–has been announced to us just as it was to them. But it did them no good because they didn’t share the faith of those who listened to God. 3- For only we who believe can enter His rest. As for the others, God said, “In My anger, I took an oath: ‘They will never enter my place of rest,'” even though this rest has been ready since He made the world.
- Psalm 37:7(Net Bible) – Wait patiently for the LORD! Wait confidently for him! Do not fret over the apparent success of a sinner, a man who carries out wicked schemes!
Jesus tells us that the Holy Spirit will remind us of what He has said. He also commands us not to “be troubled or afraid”: therefore, beloved Kingdom Family, we have no excuse not to embrace, experience and enjoy our God-given joy, peace and rest on a regular basis.
So POWERFUL is our God that, in the face of problems, trials, and tribulations, He gives us the ability to experience His joy, peace and rest. Therefore, when you begin to fret, to worry and to become agitated along life’s journey, rebuke yourself, rebuke satan and rebuke anyone who tries to steal your joy. Remember: no matter what, it is your Kingdom right to experience and enjoy God’s joy, peace and rest!
Dr. Tonya Lewis has been a member of West Angeles Church of God In Christ for over 40 years. She serves on-staff as the Executive Director of Bereavement Ministries. She holds both Honorary Doctorate and Earned Doctorate degrees. Dr. Lewis has been teaching the Overcomer’s Bible Fellowship for over 34 years at West Angeles, along with other teaching venues.
Featured image, Nicholas A. Tonelli c/o Pexels.