Presiding Bishop Charles E. Blake: 7 Scriptures for Peace
An artist was commissioned to paint a picture of peace. He painted a picture of lightning flashing across the sky; he painted debris carried thru the sky by the ferocious wind. Then, in the middle of the picture, the artist painted a huge rock that was cracked. And deep in its recesses within a cleft in the rock, the artist painted a little bird sitting on her nest, chirping softly to the little baby birds that were in the nest beneath her.
When the artist was finished, he stepped back and said, “Now that’s peace.”
Peace is not defined by the absence of storms; peace is not the absence of trouble and distress. But if you’ve got Jesus, you’ve got peace. If you’ve got Jesus, you know things are going to turn out well, and you know everything is going to be alright.
7 SCRIPTURES OF PEACE
The following is a list of scriptures on the peace and shelter found within the word of the Lord:
- Psalm 29:11 (NKJV) The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace.
- Isaiah 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.
- Matthew 11:28-30 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
- Mark 4:39 (KJV) And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.
- John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
- 1 Corinthians 14:33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace—as in all the congregations of the Lord’s people.
- Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV) Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Adapted from Bishop Blake’s sermon, “A Picture of Peace”, at West Angeles Church of God In Christ.
DID YOU KNOW?
- The WEST ANGELES COUNSELING CENTER offers personal development programs, and classes on marriage, parenting, and more – regardless of your membership status. Please contact (323) 737-7463 or 733-8300 ext. 2360. Please click here to learn more.
- MAY has been observed as “Mental Health Awareness Month” in the US since 1949.
Image by Jeff Finley for Unsplash.