SISTERS: 5 Tips For Living a Life of Excellence
by Supervisor Francis Elisabeth Harris
Blessed is the man
Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,
Nor stands in the path of sinners,
Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
He shall be like a tree
Planted by the rivers of water,
That brings forth its fruit in its season,
Whose leaf also shall not wither;
And whatever he does shall prosper.
There’s just a little something that keeps coming to me, and we all need to say it as women of the Lord:
“My tree must blossom.”
There’s nothing more beautiful than a beautiful tree bearing fruit in season. All the hard work has been done. You labored, you toiled: now the work is over. You’re entitled to the fruit; you have the right to expect the reward of your labor.
God has looked upon us today with favor and has placed us in a favorable circumstance for bringing forth fruit. Righteousness, meekness, and moral excellence spring forth from our day in Christ and from our devotion to God. And because we are forewarned through the Word, we who receive and apply the Word of God in our daily lives are able to escape and even avoid many sinful and harsh environments that others face day to day.
God has a reason to expect exceptional fruit from a tree on which He has bestowed such exceptional advantages. But if truth be told, our lives should be better; we should be more dedicated; we should be more committed; we should be able to give freely, and glorify God. He told us to set our affections on things above and let God do the work.
LIVE AS GOD HAS CALLED YOU
God expected fruit when He came to the tree, but because there was none, He was disappointed. We don’t want to disappoint God with our daily lives; we want to live a life that is pleasing in His sight.
5 Tips for Living a Life of Excellence:
- Identify your weaknesses. As Minister Donnie McClurkin says in his song, “We fall down, but we get up.” Remedy your flaws, because we want to be the best we can be. Take responsibility at the earliest opportunity. Say, ‘Yeah, that was me.’ Then, get happy for giving up your sins, and tell God, ‘Thank you!’”
- Never be afraid to learn, and use the lessons of your failure. Even when you miss an opportunity, don’t waste time on regrets; examine what it was that caused you to ignore the opportunity. It does not matter how good you are at doing what you’ve prepared yourself for in life, you can always improve and stay up to date in a changing world. That’s what God is expecting us to do.
- Use what God has given you. Sometimes we take what God has given us for granted, and we don’t take note of what has been given to us freely. The Holy Ghost is a gift of God: all you have to do is ask for it. It will take you to the right person at the right time, in the right place. It will open doors where man would say, “No,” but that same man will turn around, change his mind, not even know why he changed his mind, then tell you “Yes.” Faith works…if you’re doing the will of God.
- Pursue Excellence. Pursuing excellence does not mean that you are superhuman; it does not hold you in unrealistic values. Excellence is best described in Colossians 3:23-24: “And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.” You can act a lie as well as tell a lie; you can be a lie by being quiet and not stepping up to the plate. We’re not our own and we’ve been bought with a price. It’s only what you do for Christ that will last.
- Strengthen your family. Woman is made for a man. The only way you’re going to produce? You’ve got to have a male and a female. You can’t even get electricity with two sockets! If you want to be a good wife, you’ve got to stay in your house. Don’t be busy in other women’s houses. And when our children don’t see their way, we ought to be their way. Help your children to see what they don’t see.
When these values become a part of your everyday being, they will guide your actions, your attitude, and even your words. Knowing that God is with you is key today; you must know that God is on your side.
We are the Lord’s vineyard. If you live right, heaven belongs to you. Be the woman that God has called you to be.
SCRIPTURAL REFERENCES: Psalm 1, Luke 13:6-9, 1 Samuel 16:7, Colossians 3:23-24, Mark 11:2o-25, Luke 2:49, John 9:4, Proverbs 22:6, Romans 8:9, 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, 7:22-23, Proverbs 31:10-31.
Adapted from, “The Expectation of Excellence,” by Supervisor Francis Elisabeth Harris, at West Angeles COGIC.
Photo by Pascal Debrunner for Unsplash.
PLEASE JOIN US FOR “SISTERS”! Make June 10th the best day of your life. Join us for an uplifting evening of growth in Christ, sacred music by “Extension”, and lots of love from your sisters. Sunday, June 10, 2018, at 7:00 PM at the WEST ANGELES NORTH CAMPUS SANCTUARY. Bring a friend! For maps and directions, please CLICK HERE.
WATCH our video above of the West Angeles Women’s Day Choir, conducted by Lady Trenora Parker, sing the beautiful, uplifting hymn, Psalm 117. Praise the Lord!