The True Meaning of Christmas: 3 of God’s Gifts to Share with the World
Over two-thousand years ago, God presented the world with a gift: Jesus Christ was born in Bethlehem. In an act of faith and worship, three kings traveled from different parts of the world to bring symbolic, spiritual gifts to Jesus and to His Family:
- Frankincense, symbolizing the power of God and the Holy Spirit;
- Myrrh, symbolizing healing; and
- Gold, symbolizing His royalty and Kingship over the earth.
Today, we celebrate Christmas by buying gifts for each other and making merriment with family and friends. As the season approaches each year, our attention turns to making our shopping lists, checking for pre-Christmas bargains, and considering last-minute tax shelters. Unfortunately, Christmas, known worldwide as “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year”, has become a tradition marked by gluttony, greed, depression, and apathy.
What if we’ve gotten it all wrong? What if the true meaning of Christmas is to share with the world that which God has created us to be? What if the gifts we are to exchange at Christmastime are the gifts God has given to us in order to establish His Kingdom on earth?
For, as foretold by the prophet Isaiah in Isaiah 9:6-7 (New King James Version)–
6 For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of His government and peace
There will be no end,
Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom,
To order it and establish it with judgment and justice
From that time forward, even forever.
The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.
GOD’S GIFTS TO US
We are God’s workmanship (Ephesians 2:10); each and every one of us who calls Jesus “Our Savior” possesses His power. In the season and Spirit of Christmas, and to honor God for the gift He has given us – His only Son, our Savior, Jesus Christ – the sincerest gifts we could give to the world in return is to:
- Manifest the fullness of God’s calling on our lives. The Apostle Paul, in the book of Ephesians, asks us to “walk worthy of the calling with which you were called”, and, in gentleness and understanding, in love and in peace, to unify in one Spirit with the body of Christ (Ephesians 4:1-6). repent and transform ourselves into His loving likeness
- Share gifts of the Spirit. In Romans 12, Paul outlines one of our clearest mandates for our life on earth as Christians: not to follow society’s ways, but God’s ways. We are to activate our power of renewal and transformation, and, through the power of Jesus, to carry ourselves as His representatives of share the Good News of Christ through whatever gifts God has given us: be it to minister, to teach, to give money or possessions; to prophecy, to encourage, to show mercy, or to lead others (Romans 12).
- Spread the love of Jesus Christ. Jesus said in John 15:11-12, 11 “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. 12 This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.”
It is only when we Bless God by presenting to Him our whole selves – our talents, our resources, our bodies, minds, and souls – that His Kingdom can be established on earth: then we, and in turn the world, are Blessed.
Give the gift of LOVE this season: click below to give to West Angeles Church of God In Christ: