The West Angeles Discipleship Ministry assists the believer in serving Christ more effectively, both in the Church and in the world, as God’s representatives on earth. Our ministry emphasizes a more holistic approach, called, “Perfecting Believers”, inspired by the Apostle Paul in Ephesians 4:12.
Directed by Dr. Kenneth Hammonds, the Perfecting Believers Discipleship Ministry assists the individual in becoming a better believer and student of Jesus Christ, and cultivates spiritual and life disciplines. Along with classes, the ministry offers mentoring , small group fellowships, a monthly newsletter and outstanding fellowship events.
Classes, Programs and Events
The West Angeles Discipleship Ministry offers programs designed to assist you in becoming a more devoted follower of Jesus, and to help you grow in your walk with Christ.
We offer classes such as:
- The Disciple’s Personality – Learn how to overcome the temptations and distractions which keep you from experiencing God’s best; separate classes for women and for men.
- Winning the War Against Worry – This class offers a life-altering plan for overcoming worry, fear, stress, anxiety, and any difficulty in life.
- What On Earth Am I Here For? Based on The Purpose Driven Life by Pastor Rick Warren, Pastor of Saddleback Church, this class will take you on an adventure to help you better understand God’s purpose for your life and how your life can help fulfill God’s great purpose for all of creation.
- New Testament Greek Word Studies – Part of the West Angeles Bible College series; understand the Bible through the study of Greek word roots and meanings.
- Biblical study and meditation is the process, practice, and habit of focusing on, pondering, personalizing, and applying God’s Word to our daily lives. The ultimate goal is to dwell on the Word until it becomes so much a part of us that it transforms our thinking and our behavior. It is a biblical principal that has great rewards. Two of the most well-known Scriptures regarding meditation are Joshua 1:8-9 and Psalm 1:1-3. Both promise prosperity and fruitfulness in our lives among other benefits.
- Through The Bible Book-by-book – Have you ever felt that you wanted to better understand the Bible? Deepen your understanding of the Bible with our Through The Bible class! Over 30 years running, Through The Bible is one of the oldest American continuing-study classes of the Bible which goes book by book.
- Small Groups Ministry – Study the Bible in an intimate setting; discuss the principles of discipleship among your peers, and with Christians of all ages and levels of understanding.
- Movie Night – Enjoy free popcorn at our Discipleship Movie Nights. See first-run Christian films such as “The Shack” with Sam Worthington and Octavia Spencer, and “Laughing On Purpose,” with Christian Comedian, Michael Jr.
- Book Club – The Discipleship ministry’s Renaissance Book Club meets on the 3rd Sunday of each month. Join us for lively discussion on books which focus on Christian growth. Past titles include “Fatal Distractions”, by Evangelist Joyce Rodgers, and “gods at war”, by Kyle Idleman.
- Fellowship Trips – The Discipleship Ministry participates in regular field trips which result in bonding and other opportunities to learn, grow and minister. Trips have included locations such as The Aquarium of the Pacific and local museums.
Find out more about the many classes and events we offer though the Perfecting Believers Discipleship Ministry. Become a better disciple of Christ: come and grow with our ministry!
Call the Discipleship Ministry of West Angeles Church of God in Christ today at 323.733.8300 ext. 2349, or please use the form below to contact us.
WANT TO READ MORE ABOUT DISCIPLESHIP? Click on the links below to read posts on our blog by the Director of our Discipleship Ministry, Dr. Kenneth Hammonds: