MOUNTAINS RECREATION & CONSERVATION AUTHORITY
Los Angeles River Center and Gardens 570 West Avenue Twenty-six, Suite 100 Los Angeles, California 90065
JOB DESCRIPTION RESTORATION FIELD SPECIALIST I
The Restoration Field Specialist I (RFSP I) position performs a wide variety of skilled landscape and maintenance work in the creation and management of habitat restoration sites, and the improvement of park visitor use areas. The RFSP I position reports to, and takes direction from, Restoration Field Supervisors, the Restoration Program Manager, and the Chief of Natural Resources and Planning.
This position will remain open until it is filled.
Type This is a full-time, non-exempt, at-will position. Posted December 18, 2019
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Take direction from Division supervisors to efficiently and independently conduct habitat restoration, landscape, and clean up assignments.
- Install and maintain native plants and trees with caging protection and mulch as directed.
- Assume full responsibility for the adequate dry-season watering of plantings in restoration sites as assigned.
- Properly operate and care for power equipment including jackhammers, generators, weed whips, blowers, augers, and related equipment.
- Fill, operate, and drive both agency-owned and rented water trucks
- Maintain assigned MRCA fleet vehicle.
- Demonstrate the ability to distinguish between a majority of native and non-native invasive plants on all work sites.
- Demonstrate an absolute ability to recognize key desired or legally protected plant species on all relevant job sites.
- Demonstrate continuous interest in learning about both native and non-native plant growth characteristics.
- Install and maintain basic restoration irrigation systems as directed.
- Purchase materials and tools as directed.
- Apply herbicides via backpack or hand sprayers as directed by Supervisors.
- Construct and install park signage and fencing.
- Refine skills to conduct nursery plant propagation and maintenance.
- Conduct site clean ups with hazardous and heavy debris.
- Work in remote areas alone for an entire work day.
- Work cooperatively with other crew members and contractors.
A local public agency exercising joint powers of the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy, the Conejo Recreation & Park District, and the Rancho Simi Recreation & Park District pursuant to Section 6500 et seq. of the Government Code.
Restoration Field Specialist I December 18, 2019 2 of 2
- Maintain assigned inventory of hand and power tools.
- Assist field data collection for annual monitoring reports.
- Perform related duties as required.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to lift and carry items weighing up to 60 pounds for a distance up to 50 feet both indoors and outdoors, frequently operate heavy equipment, as well as hand and power tools, constantly works in outdoor weather conditions, frequently move about work sites, communicate and exchange information, observe site conditions, transport equipment and tools between vehicles and work sites on a daily basis, and occasionally ascend/descend a ladder to access areas of work.
Required Hours and Location Tuesday through Friday, 10 hours per day, 40 hours per week. Occasionally start/end times may vary. Occasional overtime work upon prior approval by supervisors. The position requires daily travel to various agency locations. The work is spread over numerous job sites from the Santa Clarita Valley, the full length of the Santa Monica Mountains, Simi Hills, Santa Susana Mountains and the western San Gabriel Mountains. The headquarters of the MRCA restoration crew is in the Calabasas area at King Gillette Ranch: however, most days employees drive directly to a different job site.
The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED and one year of demonstrated full time experience in landscape or nursery maintenance with southern California native plant experience being a plus or equivalent.
- Constructing, operating and repairing simple irrigation systems
- Complete work assignments and follow oral and written directions.
- Prioritize varying tasks and projects, as well as manage multiple projects at once.
Restoration Field Specialist I December 18, 2019 3 of 2
- Work independently to handle multiple tasks under deadlines.
- Operate heavy equipment.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain certification for CPR and First Aid Certificate within three months of hire.
- Revise work approach to address changed conditions.
- Quickly change tasks and focus.
- Learn technical material.
- Consistently follow agency procedures.
- Perform heavy physical labor, including lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 90 pounds for 75 feet over rough terrain multiple times per day.
- Operate heavy equipment.
- Create multiple solutions to any given problem, in areas that may be outside of your experience.
- Understand the regulatory requirements.
- Innovate and improve processes.
- Exercise discretion and sensitivity to confidential information.
- Wear protective equipment when needed.
- Work cooperatively and efficiently with others as part of a crew.
- Perform physically demanding labor on multiple consecutive days outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Work for an entire day alone in a remote area.
- Interface on a limited basis with the public.
- Effective oral and written English language skills. Not required to be a native English speaker, but fluency in English will be required.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relations with those contacted in the course of work including the general public.
Other Requirements Candidates must have a valid California driver’s license in good standing with a satisfactory driving record. Employees must be willing to participate in agency emergency response. Bilingual skills in English and another locally common language, such as Spanish, Korean, Farsi, Chinese, Armenian, Yiddish, or Tagalog is highly desired.
All appointment offers are contingent upon the following:
- Background check including submission of fingerprints to Department of Justice, and a record clean of violent crimes or felonies.
Restoration Field Specialist I December 18, 2019 4 of 2
- Successful completion of a physical examination including a drug test.
- Verification of the right to work in the United States.
Wages Successful applicant will be hired as a Restoration Field Specialist I. The monthly rate for this position is between $2,470 – $3,002.
BENEFITS Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority offers a comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of its employees and their families. Eligibility for benefits varies depending on the category of employment and how long the employee has worked. Our employees have access to several benefits, including:
- Paid Leave: Vacation, Holidays, Sick Leave
- Retirement and Deferred Compensation option
- Health/Dental Flexible Spending Account
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
MRCA offers both Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) and Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) plans for Medical and Dental. A Vision Plan and Life Insurance is included with all options. Eligible employees may enroll in a 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan and Flexible Spending Accounts for dependent care and health/dental care. MRCA contracts with the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) to provide a defined benefits program for eligible employees.
HOW TO APPLY Submit resume via e-mail to [email protected] or via fax to 323-843-9838, Attn: Zagreb De La Torre with “Restoration Field Specialist I” included as a subject. This position will remain open until filled. No phone calls, please. The acceptance of your application will depend on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the minimum requirements. Please contact us if you need an accommodation in the recruitment process or an alternate format of this announcement.
The position is open to the public for all qualified applicants. Depending on the applicant pool, not all applicants meeting the minimum qualifications will be selected to continue in the
Restoration Field Specialist I December 18, 2019 5 of 2
recruitment process. This position will remain open until filled. The eligibility list from this recruitment may be used to fill this vacancy and other vacancies in the future.
All notifications will be sent to the phone number or e-mail address provided on your application or resume. Candidates are responsible for providing a valid phone number and/or e-mail address.
All information is subject to verification at any point during the recruitment process, including after an appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or withdrawal of appointment.
DESCRIPTION OF AGENCY The Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority (MRCA) was created in 1985 with a mission to protect and preserve park and open space lands surrounding Los Angeles and is a joint powers authority between the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy, the Conejo Recreation and Park District and the Rancho Simi Recreation and Park District. These public agencies work together to preserve open spaces, natural wilderness and wildlife habitat of the Los Angeles and Ventura County metropolitan regions and to make these lands accessible to all residents of Southern California.
The MRCA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the belief that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunity.
Visit our websites: www.facebook.com/LAMountains.com
www.instagram.com/mrcaparks www.LAMountains.com www.mrca.ca.gov www.smmc.ca.gov
The MRCA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, medical condition, including genetic characteristics, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, weight, height, linguistic characteristics (such as accent and limited English proficiency, where not substantially job-related), citizenship status, or any other basis prohibited by law. The MRCA strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply for open positions.
This job announcement is not intended to, and does not, create an employment contract of any kind and does not create any express or implied contractual obligations. Employment at MRCA is at-will without exception. The employee and MRCA may terminate employment at any time with or without advance notice and with or without cause.
Any provision contained in this job announcement may be modified or revoked at any time without notice.
DEL AMO BP LLC – Torrance. Available to work flexible hours including early mornings, evenings, weekends and/or holidays, as well as work days that may exceed 8 hours and or weeks that may at times exceed 40 hours. Always focus on guest needs and proactively exceed their expectations. Consistently maintain Blaze Pizza’s standards and procedures for food preparation, order taking, opening and closing responsibilities, cash handling, store cleanliness, and guest service. Demonstrate a passion for serving GREAT pizza every time. Maintain uncompromising levels of store cleanliness. Ability to cross train and understand and or work in all job functions.
When not busy, take initiative to complete additional job duties as outlined by the store manager.
Ability to adapt to changing guest volume levels with a sense of urgency. Develop positive working relationships with all co-workers and work as part of a team by helping others as needed or requested. Maintain proper food handling, safety, and sanitation standards while preparing and cooking food. Always maintain Blaze Pizza standards of appearance. At least 18 years of age or under 18 with a valid Permit to Employ and Work. A high school diploma or equivalent is preferred. Passion for caring about guests and team members. Comfortable with computers, email and mobile technology as well as point of sale systems. Able to lift and carry at least 50 lbs. and stand for 8 plus hrs. Proof of current valid CA Food Handlers Certificate. Good verbal and written communication skills are necessary. The ability to read, write and comprehend instruction is necessary. Basic math skills are required.