Rethinking This One Word Could Change Your Entire Christmas
Christmas Season got you down? Are you away from family, and feeling that Christmas is a day you’d rather not celebrate at all? Here’s a way to rethink Christmas, and to manifest God’s miracles through the things you can do for others.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law – Galatians 5:22-23
Over two-thousand years ago, God presented the world with a gift: Jesus Christ, the Messiah, was born in Bethlehem. In an act of faith and worship, three Wise Men traveled from different parts of the globe, bringing to Jesus and His Family symbolic gifts:
- Frankincense, symbolizing the power of God and the Holy Spirit,
- Myrrh, symbolizing healing, and
- Gold, symbolizing His royalty and Kingship over the earth.
Today, we celebrate Christmas by buying gifts for each other and making merriment with family and friends. Unfortunately, Christmas has also become a tradition marked by gluttony, greed, apathy, and depression.
But: what if we’re wrong about the true meaning of Christmas?
PRESENTS VS. GIFTS
Here’s a thought: God has given to us gifts, skills, and talents to establish His Kingdom on earth. So, what if the true meaning of Christmas is to share with the world all that which God has created us to be? What if sharing with others the fruits of the spirit –
Joy, peace, temperance, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and love –
is the simple key to unlocking God’s miracles in this season?
Here are 3 ways to change the way we look at Christmas by sharing our gifts with others:
- VOLUNTEER. You don’t have to be wealthy to give to others. There are many in need in shelters and at soup kitchens which could use the help. Or, volunteer at your church by donating other skills and talents you may have, such as reading, writing, or trade and professional skills.
- REDEFINE FAMILY. No cards or invitations this year? Send out your own! There’s someone else you may know who’s alone too. Reach outside of your comfort zone by cooking a meal for someone else, such as an elderly neighbor who’s alone, or a friend who may not be able to visit their own family. Low on funds? Visit your local dollar store for inexpensive decorations to make things festive. Create new Christmas traditions.
- INVITE SOMEONE TO CHURCH. There’s no better way to lift your spirit than with the Word. But there are even more blessings in store when you share it with someone else. Invite someone to church. Your fellow church members become family.
GOD HAS A MIRACLE IN STORE…FOR YOU
Jesus, our Savior, is God’s greatest gift to mankind. To live according to His purpose is what we, on all of the earth, are called to do. He’s given us talents and gifts of love, patience, mercy, and kindness as a way to share His joy with others.
Yes, God is still in the miracle-working business. But it’s only when we present to Him our whole selves for the blessing others that His Kingdom can be established on earth. Then both we and the world are Blessed too.